The Pros and Cons of Synthetic Grass Lawns – Is Artificial Turf Good?
The debate surrounding natural and artificial grasses have been going on for years now, with homeowners, landscape designers, and environmentalists sharing their view on which of them is much better.
In this article, we will be exploring the advantages and disadvantages of artificial turf its cost considerations, and its potential for long-term savings for homeowners.
Let’s dive in!
Also Read – The Ultimate Guide To Laying Artificial Grass
The Rise of Artificial Turf
There has been a significant increase in the popularity of artificial turf over the years, especially in areas that are susceptible to drought or where lawn maintenance is particularly daunting. Most homeowners now turn to synthetic grass because they do not have to worry about maintaining it since the cost is minimal and they always have a consistently green lawn. In recent times, the advancement in synthetic grass technology has produced more realistic and visually appealing options to choose from.
Benefits of Synthetic Grass Versus Real Turf
- Maintenance Efforts and Time Saving: One of the top reasons most homeowners opt for artificial grass is because it significantly reduces the demand for maintenance. With artificial turf, there will be no reason for mowing, watering, or grappling with weeds and pests. A considerable amount of time is saved especially for people with manage larger gardens or yards.
- Cost-Efficiency in the Long Run: Even though the upfront cost for an artificial lawn installation is huge, there is potential for long-term savings. You won’t need to spend money on water, fertilizers, pesticides, and other lawn care products. In fact, purchasing high-quality artificial grass can last for as long as 15 to 20 years, translating to economical annual costs over its existence.
- Aesthetic Appeal Year-Round: Using an artificial lawn is an advantage because it will always maintain its green pristine appearance throughout the year and you don’t have to worry about watering it, unlike natural grass that usually ends up being patchy, brown, or overgrown depending on the season and maintenance.
- Eco-Friendly Aspects: Since artificial turf doesn’t need watering, it can be significant in areas that are prone to drought, which means a lot of water can be particularly in water-scarce areas.
Cons of Synthetic Turf
- Initial Installation Cost: The initial cost of installing artificial turf can be really expensive. Currently, the average cost hovers around £20 per square meter, which is minus VAT and installation charges. However, the price can fluctuate depending on the quality and kind of synthetic grass chosen.
- Environmental Concerns: Even though synthetic grass is important for conserving water, it still has some other environmental concerns that are not really appealing. The material used to produce artificial turf is non-biodegradable, which means it can intensify environmental heat because it doesn’t have the natural cooling effect of real grass.
- Health and Comfort: Some people raised concerns about synthetic grass, saying playing around or engaging in activities on natural grass is more comfortable than it is on artificial turf. There are also concerns about the chemicals used in the manufacturing process of certain artificial grass products.
The Cost Factor: An In-depth Overview of Fake Turf Versus a Natural Lawn
Despite the expensive initial costs of synthetic grass, it is important to consider long-term savings. The truth is, no matter how small the money saved on water bills, lawn maintenance equipment, and products is, it can accumulate into a substantial amount. Also, if the artificial grass is properly maintained, it can last for a long time, ranging from 7 to 20 years. This durability implies that once installed, homeowners can enjoy a beautiful, green lawn for many years, without having to incur the kind of cost that is associated with natural grass. Also, individuals that want to try DIY for installing artificial grass can save so much on the installation costs.
Conclusion – Is it Like Real Grass But Better?
The choice between natural and artificial grass is a decision for homeowners to make based on their unique requirements, budget, and their long-term aspirations for their garden or yard. Even though artificial turf offers great advantages in terms of maintenance and long-term savings, it is equally important that you weigh your options against the initial expenses and potential effect on the environment. As with any home improvement decision, doing thorough research and deliberation is important.